Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Note to Self: Bless Your Husband

This morning as Nick was leaving for work I had one of those warm-fuzzy moments where I thought, "Gosh, I love him so much. I want to bless him so much." And, this was quickly followed by thoughts of frustration that I don't stay in that frame of mind all the time.

To be clear, I think I'm doing a pretty decent job of loving and blessing my husband. I hope he feels that way, and I hope others see it as well. For several years now, I have identified this as one of the highest priorities of my life. God makes it clear in His Word (Genesis 2:18, Proverbs 31:10-12, 1 Corinthians 11:3, Ephesians 5:22-24, Colossians 3:18, Titus 2:3-5, 1 Timothy 5:14) that a wife possesses a chief responsibility of submitting to, respecting, serving, helping, and enhancing the quality of her husband's life. I have embraced those responsibilities and have been trying my best. There are times, like this morning, when I am filled with desire to excel as Nick's wife because of an overwhelming heart of gratitude for who he is and all that he does for me. However, I hate to admit, there are also regular times when my attitude becomes moody, snappy, critical, and naggy. Because of stress or fatigue or a multitude of other reasons, it is easy for me to not communicate to Nick the love and appreciation that are really in my heart.

Judging by how I see and hear other women interacting with their husbands, I am not alone in this struggle.

So, I wanted to tell you about a little exercise that I have done this morning:
I have written myself a short note that I will keep here at the house. I have reminded myself of how much of a blessing Nick is, how much he does for me and gives to me, how much he sacrifices for me, and how much I really want to bless him in return. I will read this note-to-self each day before he comes home from work. Hopefully then, having freshly reviewed my commitment to bless and honor him, our evening hours together will be full of love and respect and notably absent of moodiness and naggy-ness :).

No comments:

Post a Comment