Monday, March 28, 2011

To Go or Not To Go? That Is The Question.

Tomorrow I will post another quoted passage from my latest favorite book: Radical. If you follow my blog at all, you know I've quoted from this book a number of times in the past month or so. May I just say - READ IT, READ IT, READ IT.

The reason I have Radical on my mind again this evening is that Nick and I have just been on the couch reading it. He, for the first time on his fancy I-phone; I, reviewing a chapter on global missions. I'll share some incredibly convicting parts from that chapter tomorrow. For now, though, I'll tell you that the reason I have missions on my mind is because our church is currently planning a 10-day mission trip to Jaipur, India. Nick and I attended a meeting last night to learn more about the upcoming trip.

Jaipur is a city of 3,500,000 people. Only 2% of that 3.5 million know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. The rest are at present doomed for a Christless eternity because of their allegiance to the Hindu faith. We have the opportunity to undertake this mission and give our time and resources to the spreading of the gospel in India. We have the opportunity to go and spend many hours with two missionaries in Jaipur, assisting them in their discipling and training of local, native Christians. By our assisting and ministering with these missionaries, more natives will be trained in the sharing of the gospel and more Indians will therefore come to know Jesus as Lord.

It will not be a cheap trip. 14 hour plane ride one way. We would have to leave the day after Christmas and it will "mess up" our Christmas vacation time. The conditions in India will be dirty, so we've been told. We will eat for 10 days with our hands, no utensils. We may be asked to camp under the stars with the natives. We will have to dress in traditional Indian garb. It will be uncomfortable.

Will Nick and I go? I do not know. We have not yet decided.
Our eyes are open, though, to God's command that we GO into all the world and make disciples.
I don't know what excuse we can provide to continue ignoring that command.
If you, like me, are one of those people who has always quoted that "go into all the world" bit yet never honestly chewed on it to ponder the literal implications that Jesus intended it have upon your life........stay tuned.

Come back for tomorrow's post.

1 comment: