Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Can't Even Go to the Beach to Escape God's Discipline!

My wonderful husband took me to Ponte Vedra, FL last week. He had to attend a conference for work, and I had the pleasure of tagging-along. Gorgeous scenery.... glorious weather.... a treat of a week!

Nick and I had a wee-bit of an episode on the last day of this mini-vacation that caused me to do some serious soul-searching regarding the commands that God has given me as a wife. 1 Peter 3:1-6, Proverbs 31, Ephesians 5:22-24, and Titus 2:3-5 teach the demeanor and the attitude that I and every other married woman are supposed to have in relating to our husbands.

Toward my husband, I am to be:
Gentle
Respectful
Quiet
Reverent
Submissive
Pure
Fearing of the Lord

Like it or not, this is a list of character qualities that are commanded of wives toward their husbands; a list that I really need to work on. It may feel offensive to some, but it is nonetheless the timeless guidance of God's Word that requires a response. It has been my experience that the occasional absence of some of these godly attitudes in me can cause heartbreaking, exasperating, and frustrating ripples in marriage. I have much work to do. Though it is so often uncomfortable, I am thankful for the conviction of the Holy Spirit. I couldn't even go to the beach to escape it :).


No comments:

Post a Comment