Thursday, March 24, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor, Lady GaGa, Michael Jackson.......oh my!

Usually as I go about my morning routine, I grab for the remote to turn off the TV so that my bible study can be unhindered. This morning, however, I decided to leave it on after Good Morning America gave the tease that they were going to do a piece on the "Legendary Elizabeth Taylor." I assumed it would be one more occasion during which I was intrigued, saddened, and maddened by the topics, lies, and darkness that stream from to today's media.

I recall a recent morning when Lady GaGa appeared for a nearly 10 minute interview dressed head to toe in latex. Her costume, which the anchors applauded, was meant to be a talking piece for her safe-sex-for-same-sex couples campaign. I recall multitudes of times when abstinence education has been villanized as the reason why so many teens are having unplanned pregnancies. I recall multiple, careful considerations meant to determine when a parent should introduce contraceptive options to their children. I recall days when Steve Harvey, who has had multiple marriages, has been brought in to give advice on marriage. I recall the way the journalists crucified President George Bush one time when he was considering a former Methodist minister for the Position of Surgeon General of the United States. This particular gentleman (who was not ultimately chosen) had once written a paper on the dangers and wrongs of homosexuality, and the esteemed members of the press just could not conceive that such blasphemy might become a part of the White House team. There have been many mornings when popular music artists have been given prime time to perform concerts on air; concerts which involve gross, sexual, humping and dancing. It never fails - after these "wonderful" performances they are praised for their talent, influence, and for so generously sharing their time with the viewing audience. When Michael Jackson died a couple of years ago, he was hailed as a trail-blazer and pitied as a misunderstood genius. Though this man who rose to fame spent his lifetime filled with darkness and confusion, our culture tragically lauded him as a hero. Now, as I sit here this morning, there have been over 25 minutes of warm, lovingly reflective coverage on the "iconic" life of Elizabeth Taylor. She who in the public eye embraced infamously multiple marriages and scandalous, unapologetic affairs is being magnified as a woman to be appreciated, celebrated, and held dear. Barbara Walters called Taylor "great" and "wonderful."

How sad. How pitiful. How wrong.

My intent is not to demonize the mistakes of those mentioned above. Were it not for the mercy of God poured-out upon my life in my greatest times of need, I could very well be as deceived as those I've mentioned. Rather, my intent is to point out the darkness that consumes our culture. The sin that is exalted and called good. The good that is shamed and called wrong.

May we all be on-guard. May we be awake in realizing the dark and powerful influence that this world and its culture can have upon us. May we be guarded against the background noise that surrounds us and stains day-in and day-out. May we shield our eyes, ears, hearts, and minds as much as possible in order to avoid the subtle messages that would cause us to be conformed to the standards of this world.

Be careful little eyes what you see.
Be careful little ears what you hear.
And for goodness sake, turn off the TV to keep the cultural mess from streaming into your homes :).

No comments:

Post a Comment