Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Let it Rain

It's raining today. As I sit and write at my kitchen table, looking out the window, everything is a soggy mess. I cannot see the sun. Constant drops have driven away the hungry birds that usually play at our feeders. Dead, brown leaves droop on their limbs, as if the weight of the world were on their veins. Puddles sit where flowers were. It seems a completely dismal, lifeless day. But, without this rain there would be no life. Without this rain the birds and animals that speak to us of God's creation would have nothing to drink and would cease to be. Without this rain, the trees would have no strength by which to flourish once more and provide shade this spring. The crops would have no impetus by which to yield and feed the earth. There would be no lush green grass on which little feet could run, no brilliant blooms to be picked by the one in love, no fertile soil to be employed by the dependent farmer. The rain is a must. It yields life. Let it rain.

I am reminded of the value of rain, of affliction, of trouble, of trial in my life.

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." Psalm 119:71
"Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word." Psalm 119:67
"Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish." Isaiah 38:17

When the rain comes in our lives (as God promises it will), we usually cringe, cry, complain, and seek to be consoled. I have done this time and time again. What if, instead, we embraced the rain? What if we chose to give praise and thanks to God for the affliction of our circumstance because we just knew it would turn out for our benefit? God does tell us to "give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thessalonians 5:18). When are we actually, really going to do that? When are we going to resolve to quit ignoring scriptures such as that one? We can and should give thanks in and for the rainy, dreary, troublesome circumstances of our lives because we trust our God to utilize them in making us "mature and complete" (James 1:2-4). If the aim of our lives and desire of our hearts is really to be closer to Him, we should rejoice in the midst of our affliction! Our trying circumstances become nuggets of pure gold in our lives when we embrace them with the determination to prove ourselves faithful. This is not impossible. It merely requires a change of mind and outlook. It is good for me to be afflicted - because of the Kingdom yield it is producing in my life!!!

I can now look back and shout from the rooftops that it has been good for me to be afflicted! I would not be experiencing the hunger that I am for my Lord, escaping the lukewarmness that poisons so many, had He not allowed me to battle and suffer like I did. I'll tell you more about that in my next entry. In the midst of it, I was not thankful. Now, though, I am thankful. My rain has produced a harvest. I'd love to hear how your rain has done the same.

Rain yields life. Let it rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment